Bed Bugs Appearance and Life Cycle Midtown Manhattan
Knowing what to look for is the first step in identifying and controlling bed bugs. There are many bugs that look like bed bugs so an accurate identification is a critical first step to avoid costly treatment for the wrong bug. The types of bugs that look like bed bugs will vary somewhat depending on your region of the country, but photos and descriptions of common look-alikes have been compiled by researchers.
Adult bed bugs, in general, are:
- About the size of an apple seed (5-7 mm or 3/16 - 1/4 inch long)
- Long and brown, with a flat, oval-shaped body (if not fed recently)
- Balloon-like, reddish-brown, and more elongated (if fed recently)
- A “true bug” (characteristics of true bugs include a beak with three segments; antenna that have four parts; wings that are not used for flying; and short, golden-colored hairs)
- Smelly, with a “musty-sweetish” odor produced through glands on the lower side of the body.
Young bed bugs (also called nymphs), in general, are:
- Smaller, translucent or whitish-yellow in color; and
- If not recently fed, can be nearly invisible to the naked eye because of coloring and size.
Bed bug eggs, in general, are:
- Tiny, the size of a pinhead;
- Pearl-white in color
- Marked by an eye spot if more than five days old.
Bed Bug Life Cycle
- Egg (1mm)
- 1st stage nymph (1.5 mm)
- 2nd stage nymph (2 mm)
- 3nd stage nymph (2.5 mm)
- 4nd stage nymph (3 mm)
- 5nd stage nymph (4.5 mm)
- Adulthood (5 mm)
Have a bed bug problem?
Let us know so we can help!
Want Help Determining What Type Of Pest You Have?
Please upload a photograph of the highest possible quality. Lower quality pictures can result in making the pest unidentifiable. It can either be a pdf or jpeg file no larger than 30MB. A representative from Acme will contact you within one business day.
Acme Exterminating will periodically send special savings, promotions and coupons to our Preferred Internet Clients. To take advantage of these online specials, please join our e-mail mailing list. .