Simple Ways To Avoid Bed Bugs During Moving And Storage Midtown Manhattan, NY
Simple precautions when moving or storing things to prevent bed bugs
It’s a good idea to take some simple precautions when moving or storing things to prevent bed bugs from coming along for the
ride. Taking some precautions in your new home can help prevent bed bugs in the future.
Before You Move
- Are there any bed bugs in your current home? If you do have them, or are not sure, see our guide Preventing and Getting
Rid of Bed Bugs Safely.
- Before you move, look around your new home carefully with a flashlight to see if there are bed bugs.
- If you do see any bed bugs (or other problems), speak to the landlord about pest control before you move. If you are the
homeowner, hire a pest management professional to inspect and treat, if necessary, the home before you move.
Preparing For Your Move
- Use new packing material whenever possible. If you do use boxes that have been used by others, first inspect them
carefully with a flashlight for bed bugs.
- If you hire a mover or rent a moving vehicle, ask the company if they check for bed bugs and how frequently.
- If you or your movers use blankets to wrap some furniture, make sure the blankets have been cleaned or sanitized first.
- If you rent a vehicle, check it yourself before you put your things inside.
- Before you put things in storage, ask how frequently they check for bed bugs. If possible, look around the storage area
yourself with a flashlight. Try to store your things in sealable plastic containers or bags. If a bag rips, seal the tear with
- Check items carefully when you remove them from storage
- Wash clothing immediately as you normally would. If you suspect bed bugs, launder washable items in hot water and
dry on the highest setting for at least 20 minutes. Dry cleaning and steam cleaning will kill bed bugs in fabrics (including
soft luggage) that can’t be washed and dried at high settings.
Provided by: The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
Have a bed bug problem?
Let us know so we can help!
Want Help Determining What Type Of Pest You Have?
Please upload a photograph of the highest possible quality. Lower quality pictures can result in making the pest unidentifiable. It can either be a pdf or jpeg file no larger than 30MB. A representative from Acme will contact you within one business day.
Acme Exterminating will periodically send special savings, promotions and coupons to our Preferred Internet Clients. To take advantage of these online specials, please join our e-mail mailing list. .